Game play is simple and intuitive.
- Choose your age phase or custom list.
- Choose the level of difficulty.
- Your 10 spellings will appear and be read to you. In easy mode, press 'Go' and then choose the letters from the list in the correct order. Press the tick to continue.
- When you have completed your 10 spellings, a list will appear to let you know which words are correct.
- If you would like to save this list, type in your name and click the camera button. Your list will be saved into the photos on your device. Picture
Level of Difficulty
There are four levels of difficulty: easy, medium, hard and extreme.
Easy: This allows the player to read the word for as long as they like. The player then chooses the correct spelling from the jumbled letters of that word. The score is 1000pts for a correct spelling and up to a bonus 1000pts for speed plus 1 x 🍯.
Medium: This does not allow the player to read the word. The player listens to the word and then selects the correct spelling from the jumbled letters. The score is 2000pts for a correct spelling and up to a bonus 2000pts for speed plus 2 x 🍯.
Hard: This does not allow the player to read the word. The player listens then selects the correct letters from a series of random letters. The score is 3000pts for a correct spelling and up to a bonus 3000pts for speed plus 3 x 🍯.
Extreme: This does not allow the player to read the word. The player listens then selects the correct letters using a full qwerty keyboard. The score is 4000pts for a correct spelling and up to a bonus 4000pts for speed plus 4 x 🍯.
Additionally, a series of correct spellings will give a score multiplier of 3x, 5x or 10x.
How to start a Hive Game
1. Click on 'Hive games' from the menu on the EdShed homepage and then click '+ Create Hive'. 2. Choose the word list you would like to use and click 'Play'. 3. Choose a difficulty for the game (extreme shows the whole keyboard) 4. Choose how many ...
Do I need to buy the app to play the games at home?
No. Our subscription to Maths and Spelling Shed include unlimited access to our online game at no additional cost, which functions on all current desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile devices. Many schools and parents do choose to buy the app also but ...
Scoring and honeypots
We have several different ways of scoring on Spelling Shed and MathShed: Shed Score This is the main score used for leagues and is the total score from the past seven days. This may go down as well as up. It is rolling total which is calculated live ...
What are Challenges?
Challenges are similar to Custom Leagues but they are open to children to create and invite their friends to set up and play games with. Unlike Hive games, you can edit the amount of time you have to play the games, pupils don't all have to play at ...
Spelling Scheme Progression
From the main menu of the game, select "More Lists", then choose the "Scheme/Curriculum" tab. When you choose a stage you will now see a large "Currently Playing" block at the top and the rest of the lists below. You will also notice that they all ...